Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Post for 10 November 2013 will have to be Rescheduled Due to Lack of Inspiration

I thought this post really needed some awesomeness.  If you need some, this image is sold as a postcard, at this site.



I took on this blog-post-a-day thing because I knew I really needed to refocus myself on writing. So far, I have been happy with the outcome, and I've put out some pieces that I'm glad I made myself write.  I wish that I could say I started today with good intentions and plenty of energy and sat down at the computer right away.  I could say that, if I was a lying liar from Liarsburg-- but I'm not.  Today I just had a bunch of other things to do, and Sundays are the days I try to stay away from the computer and do non-screen things. These are excuses, not reasons,  for failing to write, I know.  

When I finally did get to the computer, I procrastinated in my usual way.  Didn't check email all day-- I should catch up.  Might have missed something important on Face book-- better just take a peek.  Oh look, someone I follow put a new playlist up on Spotify-- I should listen.  Two hours later, I hadn't written a word. But I did meander through the notes I make to spark ideas for posts when I do get around to writing. This one, a quote from the writer and marketing wizard, Seth Godin, stopped me, and made me start writing:

The notion that I do my work here, now, like this, even when I do not feel like it, and especially when I do not feel like it, is very important. Because lots and lots of people are creative when they feel like it, but you are only going to become a professional if you do it when you don’t feel like it. And that emotional waiver is why this is your work and not your hobby.

         (Read the whole discussion with Godin on Brainpickings.  Love that site!)

I've said that I want this to be my work, so this is the idea that I have to keep in front of me: I'm a writer. Writers write.  Sit down and get to work.  

For today, there's no point in making you suffer while I squirm and try to get something on paper.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment